We love this healthy chili with pumpkin in the fall and winter! Can be made on stovetop or in crock pot with any ground meat you like. Even our kids love this, and if they fight it, we have some alternative serving ideas below!
- 1lb ground meat ( turkey, beef, bison, chicken— whatever your favorite is)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 14oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper
- on stovetop or in instant pot/slow cooker, heat olive or coconut oil and add onions, garlic. Saute for 5 min.
- add meat and brown
- turn off saute mode and add remaining ingredients
- cook in slow cooker on low for 6-8hrs or on stovetop on low for 4-6hrs
- Serve with lots of toppings– suggestions:
- tortilla chips
- greek yogurt
- hot sauce
- add beans if you prefer a chili with beans
- call them “taco bowls” and let kids add their toppings. Taco bowl sounds more fun even though its exactly the same meal.
- use the chili filling to make tacos– its less intimidating for kids and they only need to add a small amount
- add to chips and serve as nachos with cheese!